It is located in eastern India on the east bank of the Hooghly River. It is the centre of modern education, science, culture and politics in India.
The plants are not just showy and elegant but some also have many medicinal properties.Their aroma fills the atmosphere, which is utterly refreshing in the mornings.As a whole the garden seems to be bright with colourful flowers and fruits.There is also a natural fountain that can be spotted around the southwestern side of the garden gate.The gardens exhibit a wide variety of rare plants and a total collection of over 12,000 specimens spread over 109 hectares.
It is under Botanical Survey of India (BSI) of Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of India.
This adds a special aura to the place, which is not only enjoyable for the elders but also to the children.
The garden during picnic seasons and holidays remains packed with people.
Different varieties of climbers, cactus, shrubs, garden plants and aromatic plants can be traced in the garden, which is located in the sprawling 63 bighas of land.
The garden, apart from the flower garden, also constitutes of green houses, a library, Tissue Culture Laboratory, training center, nurseries and hostel facilities for students of the Cary Institute, research laboratory, along with an Administrative office and Secreterial Residential complex.
The gardens were founded in 1787 by Colonel Robert Kyd, an army officer of the British East India Company, primarily for the purpose of identifying new plants of commercial value, such as teak, and growing spices for trade.